Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Last full day in Mexico City

    January 26, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    Well, of all the things to do in Mexico City, the one place that seems most appropriate for a return visit is the Museo de Antropología. Joe wanted to go, understandably, so we took the morning to see it. Once again, I left without a real clear idea of the difference between the Toltecas, the Olmecas, the Mexicas, etc, but in awe of all the beautiful things they made and built. It is just an amazing museum.

    For the afternoon, we walked up to the Castle of Chapultapec, where we saw the living quarters of the Emperor Maximilian and Empress Carlota. Plus we got a good dose of the history of the US storming of the castle and the bravery of the cadets (Child Heroes they are called) who tried to defend the castle in vain. Mexico gave up half of its total territory to end the hostilities -- I wonder if they would like to take Texas back? There was a quote from Ulysses Grant describing the American invasion as the most unjust action our military had ever undertaken.

    I just realized this is the only time I have been in a major city in any country and have not taken ANY public transportation. Only Uber. We were going to take a bus to Cuernavaca this afternoon, but Uber is so cheap and so quick, I have totally sold out my principles.
    Read more