Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    From blah to wow

    June 18, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We left a little after 7. Having a day with 28 km in the mountains is a lot, as we learned on the Vasco. At first we followed the valley to get us behind the foothills. Then up and up, gently at first and then steep and rocky. As we reached the top, the valley spread out behind us. And then, another couple hundred meters huffing and puffing up up up, and bam we were in the mountains. It was one of those wow, indescribable moments. Packs off, sit down and absorb the beauty. We spent a while up here.

    From there we had a very gradual descent followed by another ascent to a different set of peaks. The views were gorgeous in all directions. When we finally got down to a little village, we had about 7 more km on an untraveled road till we got to Vegacervera, where we are staying in an albergue. It’s an outdoor camp for kids, but it’s not full so there is one cabin for peregrinos and the rest for the school kids.

    Ender drove over to see us, and he took us to a great restaurant for a late lunch. Then a little trip up to a nearby river gorge. Maybe that’s where the word “gorgeous” comes from because that’s an apt description.
    Read more