Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    In the rain to Cobrana

    June 23, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    33 kms all on dirt or stone paths with lots of ups and downs but nothing too steep— should have been a dream walk, and it was for the first hour or so. No spectacular scenery but very pleasantly rural. Then the rain started and I had to whip out the rain poncho. When you walk in the rain, at first it is unpleasant because everything starts getting wet. First your pants legs, then your socks. Then you start to sweat so the inside of the poncho gets wet. Then, the worst—your shoes are soaked and you are walking in a puddle. Squish squish squish. But then it doesn’t get any worse and it becomes your new normal, so you just keep walking.

    About ten kms from my destination, I passed the first open bar of the day. The owner was very tolerant of my drowned rat condition and very eager to talk about this new camino. One good strong cafe con leche and a few churros later, the rain stopped and out I went. But of course it soon started raining again —which really didn’t matter since I was still pretty wet.

    The little casa rural in Cobrana gives pilgrim prices. And the woman in the bar brought up a bowl of paella and some hard boiled eggs with tuna and red peppers — I doubt I’ll be able to finish it even though it will be my supper too!
    Read more