Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    To Monte Alban

    March 11, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    This morning we took a cab to the Monte Alban archaeological site. There are about 20 buildings pyramids,, a beautiful ball court and an observatory. We did not have a guide because we needed to do this at our own rhythm.
    I bought a little book in the bookstore, so we had plenty of information. Although there were a few flights of steps that were fairly hairy, Joe managed to navigate them all without mishap. He used the hiking poles and they worked well on the uneven terrain. I think he did very well and enjoyed the visit, even though he did spend some time sitting in the shade while I climbed up and down.

    In spite of all the archaeological studies, there’s still so much mystery surrounding these places. Carvings that were once thought to be dancers, are now considered to be dead castrated prisoners. And apparently no one has ever figured out what the rules of the ball game were. According to what I have read, injury, and death were probably a part of the playbook. And all those standing stones or special obelisks with unknown astrological purpose. So much we don’t know about the past!

    There was a huge poster, put together by the technical and professional staff of the national Institute of archaeology and history (INAH), complaining that the organization has received no budget for the last couple of years. Ringing the warning, bell and hoping for some action.

    I had considered renting a car and taking a few day trips, but that is definitely off the table now that we’ve been in the midst Oaxaca traffic. Omar, the taxista who took us today, is going to pick us up tomorrow and take us out for another half day trip. He described a lot of options so I’m sure we’ll be in good hands. We make a habit of this since we still have four days here!

    Nap time is over. Heading for a stroll and dinner at another highly recommended restaurant. The life of Riley.
    Read more