Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Wandering

    March 14, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    I had heard about two different barrios with lots of houses with murals on the wall. Xochimilco and Jalatluda. Joe was in slow mode today, so this was a good way to spend our time. I was able to plan a walking route that included churches and parks (pews and benches are always appreciated) as we went through the barrios. The murals are fantastic —some whimsical, some political, some just weird.

    Dance classes in the park, school bands practicing, speeches of some political stripe. There’s always something to watch. Especially since we had no real agenda or itinerary. We were going to go to the Archaeological Museum today, but decided to spend today outside to enjoy a break in the high temps we’ve been having. If I were a shopper I’d be in heaven because it seems to be the main thing people do when they walk around the city.

    We did pop into a few churches and as always found only a handful of women (usually but not always old like me). We spent some time in a convent turned research library. Very interesting presentations on the excavations nearby and the evidence that Zapotecas were here in force when the Spaniards came calling.

    We have eaten a cautious amount of street food, but typically play it safe. It’s almost as much fun to watch the preparations and the people.

    I’ve met four women in our hotel, two of whom have walked the camino. They seem to be sitting outside in the patio while Joe is napping, so it’s been fun to talk about my favorite activity with them.
    Read more