Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    To San Martín del Tesorillo (20.7 km)

    April 14 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Sounds like a short day but it wasn’t. But it was beautiful and a lot of fun. A few kms on asphalt at the beginning and at the end, but in between all off road and through springtime countryside.

    We took a cab to the place we walked to yesterday, and after Clare got a coffee, off we went.

    Lots of wildflowers, cork trees, Holms oaks. No cattle today (unlike the many big groups I navigated yesterday). We had four or five ups and downs and then one large descent over caked mud that had been stampeded over by herds of some animal. That wasn’t fun.

    We knew there was a river crossing, and that there were two options. One is to go check out the level of the water at one point and wade across if it’s navigable, and the other is to walk on a rickety swinging wooden bridge. Since I just recently got up my courage to go on a zip line, I assumed the bridge would be fine. It was a little scary as it swayed back and forth, but we both survived.

    We arrived at our pensión Ochomín a little after 2. By 3 we were down in the restaurant next door. By 4 we had given them our order. One of the staff is home ill, and the owner was rushing around taking orders. He recommended a fresh fish with vegetables and a nice green salad. He told us we would remember this meal. Let’s see if he’s right.
    Read more