Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Breathtaking flight into Queenstown

    November 7, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    I would say, Queenstown airport and Bermuda's airport are the two most scenic touch downs I have every seen.

    It must be a spectacular view from the cockpit!

    Just before we reach the NZ coast you could not tell where sea ended and the sky began, then the breathtaking dramatic cost line followed by the majestic mountains still partially covered in snow even in the summer time.

    I think the pilot must have been enjoying the view a little too much, he did not keep his eyes on the runway as it was the worst landing I have ever experienced, it felt like we hit the ground so hard the plane bounced a couple of time on the runway before the wheels actually started turning.

    Like Bermuda airport, Queenstown airport you walk down stairs straight to the tarmac with the most beautiful panoramic views of the mountains surrounding the airport.

    I always thought the All Blacks was New Zealand best asset but, Queenstown make the All Blacks look like a bunch of ballerinas. It is so beautiful here.

    Interestingly enough going through customs in NZ has a completely different focus from other countries, other counties want to make sure you don't come in and stay there forever while NZ's main concern was do you have soil or other natural things on you that would contaminate NZ wildlife. They actually check under our shoes for soil and asked so many specific questions about things like shells etc. In true Isabel form she had a shark tooth and a shell from Fiji in her bag and only declared the shark tooth which meant they sent us to the bag search to look at the shark tooth which was fine. As we walked there Isabel started panicking about the shell she did not declare. They did not search all our bags in the end and just had a look at the shark tooth and put it ziplock back that we have to keep it in.

    {Roedolf}
    Read more