Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Cool little town

    November 18, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Today was jam packed, we planned nothing but the vicinity of our end destination . Got up, went for a run on the small farm road (I kinda did mile repeats as the road ended in a private property with scary looking cows) , utilized the amazing hot showers, organized the camper-van (this is a mission - find a spot for everything without driving each other nuts) and BOOM the days adventure starts.

    I did a blitz analysis of the must do's in Hokikita, also known as the cool little town, and navigated Roedolf with a pretty basic map. Google maps are very handy till you lose cellphone reception, which happens pretty much all the time in NZ.

    This is one beautiful country. The diversity of scenery is mind blowing. From Hokikita, the drive around lake Kaniere offers the following: walk into the Kahikatea forest, a bench in the water; access to Dorothy's falls and many beautiful viewpoints. I also got up close and personal with a Lama. A short detour from the lake got us to the vivid turquoise waters of Hokikita's gorge. The lush forest surrounding it also made it a good lunch stop.

    Filled up at BP (ons laat die wiele rol) and then drove to state highway 6 to Franz Josef in search of a glacier.
    Read more