Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Picnic on the Great Ocean Road

    December 12, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    During the gold rush in Victoria Melbourne used to be the second most wealthiest city in the world. Then during the first world war the perfect storm actually hit Melbourne with the gold resources dwindling to nothing, plus the economic recession after the war caused Melbourne to suffer financially. Some wealthy business men came together and created the Great Ocean Road trust and planned this project to build the world best driving road as an effort to help stimulate the economy and create jobs. Little did they know back then that this road will generate over AUS$2 Billion in tourism revenue annually today.

    We got on the Great Ocean Road just before the Eastern View point which is also where the memorial arch was erected. We stopped at various lookouts on the way to Apollo bay where we stopped for a picnic lunch.

    We packed some ham, cheese, tomato and cucumber sandwiches and wraps with flavored tuna cheese and tomatoes. We basically had a feast on the beach. I was so full felt like passing out right there for an afternoon nap.

    {Roedolf}
    Read more