Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Authentic Malay

    January 10, 2017 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We headed to Kampong Bharu, meaning "new village", for a free guide walking tour, or as the Malayans say "jalan-jalan".

    Amazing that the government actually sponsor these tours as it really brings Malaysia to life for a foreigner like me. Kampong Bharu is a piece of land that the British gave to the local Malayan people to basically segregate the different racial groups in Malaysia, namely Malayans, Indians and the Chinese. Typical British, they have always been trying to segregate people.

    We walked by several authentic Malayan houses some of which are over 100 years old, and the contrast between these houses and the modern high rises in this city is amazing.

    My personal highlight was the Food street that only served authentic Malayan foods, our guide bought some fruits and other snacks for all of us to taste. My highlight was to witness Isabel so far out of her comfort zone. I learnt something new about my wife today, I never knew she was so bad when it comes to food, first she ran out of the food market this morning in order not to puke and then she could barely swallow a coconut/bamboo treat. Basically when it comes to food her adventurous spirit ends at gourmet western dishes.

    {Roedolf}
    Read more