Satellite
  • Day 1

    Ho Chi Minh City hustle and bustle

    January 13, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ 🌙 29 °C

    Everyone tried to prepare us that Ho Chi Minh City (Saignon City is the old name)will be overwhelming because there are so many people.

    Nothing could have prepared us for what actually awaited us here.

    Traffic rules, driving side of the road, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings are all mere suggestions it seems, its an absolute free for all with the majority of the traffic caused by scooters and bikes.

    Crossing the roads is basically two things. Commitment and faith. You just need to choose a time and place to cross and the commit to get across without stopping in the middle of the road and the have faith that you would not get hit by a car or bike. Some how the traffic just keeps going around you.

    Don't be fooled that the sidewalks are much safer as some scooter drivers revert to driving on the sidewalks when the roads are jam packed. Thus you should be ready to dodge scooters everywhere.

    People truly live their life's on the streets, as each little shop owner will have a little table and chair outside the shop where they will sit and eat noodles while people watching and in between they try call people into their shops. There are even the odd bike repair on the side of the road.

    I think the biggest tourist attractions here is just walking down the street to experience the chaos.

    {Roedolf}
    Read more