Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Killing fields Choeung Ek

    January 29, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    This is a unique place which reflect the barbarous and cruel crimes of the ultra communist Khmer Rouge regime between 1975 and 1979. Around 20,000 people including foreigners were brutally executed. There are 129 mass graves bear testimony to these unspeakably crimes. There is a tree called the killing tree where babies was smashed against, these people were absolutely merciless. They were of the opinion you need to kill everyone of educational descent otherwise there will be people with revenge/ A memorial housing the remains excavated at this site of Choeung. I was constantly thinking of the trauma to dig things up and clean it and even more so visiting the archives to determine if your loved ones escaped or were killed in the mass murders. The skulls are marked with dots to indicate with which weapon people was killed and whether its male or female etc. Its so tragic how so many were head injuries.

    Not a place I want to visit ever again, but I thankful we did, it was an extremely dark and somber journey into the history of Cambodia.

    More on the history read this
    http://www.cambodiatribunal.org/history/cambodi…

    {Issy}
    Read more