Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Hippieville

    February 3, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    We thought lets have lunch at the "driftwood lounge" as the name suggested an awesome lunch spot and the reviews on TripAdvisor ain't bad at all.

    We arrived to find total hippieville and nothing remotely looking like a lounge! Its hand made flimsy wooden seats and table and stuff hanging from the roof thats clearly been made from junk.

    The menu consisted of fried rice with vegetables, vegetable omelette, french fries, some pasta with vegetables and catch of the day (only if available).

    They ran out of water and coke so could only really offer us fanta, sprite or an Oreo milkshake thats non-alcoholic cold drinks.

    We had one of all three the drinks, fried rice with vegetables and a vegetable omelette before heading back to our beach.

    What shocked me on this beach is how many girls not just tan topless but simple operate on the beach with their tops off. Having said that none of them are anything to look at, most of the hippies here clearly have not washed their hair in weeks or showered in days.

    I realized this week I am about 15 years to old for the backpacking hippie scene and even 15 years ago I would have found it hard to live like they do.

    We spoke to a guy at our lodge last night, he and his wife have been traveling for a year and a half now, stopping at places like this to volunteer and work for free accommodation. While that all sounds great in theory, he had the same shirt on today as he had the previous 3 days and I have had 6 different shirts on in the last 3 days.

    Thanks but no thanks I will happily pay for my accommodation and travel in style for a shorter period of time unlike hippie like these lot.

    {Roedolf}
    Read more