Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Fun@intramuros

    February 26, 2017 on the Philippines ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Our run turned into a fun sightseeing excursion. The tour operators persistence initially drove us nuts but eventually we gave in to an Intramuros tour. We literally squeezed into one of these Manila style bike tuk tuk taxi things. The poor guy in his thermal skin was having a tough time cycling in the heat with the Dolf and I, and giving us a tour of the walled city. It was fun to hop on and off to see the sights and hear the history.

    Intramuros is the oldest district and historic core of Manila. The resemblance of the Spanish Colonial Period from 1521 to 1898 is visible in the beautiful architecture in the walled city of Manila. There are several universities here. The Americans (surprise surprise) took control after 300 years of Spanish rule to end the Spanish American war. This old part of the city was damaged during the battle to recapture the city from the Japanese Army during the Second World War. This little town feels like a snapshot of Cuba with its European flair.

    All the different influences is visible in the food and culture of the Philippines.

    {Issy}
    Read more