Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Day 62 ~ 20,750 Miles, Phillip Island

    March 7, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    Day 62 ~ 20,750 Miles

    It is probably not more 40 miles as the crow flies from Geelong to Philip Island but the Captain kept it in first gear all night to fill time on our revised itinerary.

    We received a warm reception from the local welcoming committee and a duo performing Drunken’ Sailor. Oddly enough, this is the song I sing to myself as I walk the long corridors of the ship when the seas prevent one from walking in a straight line and admit I have burst into song a few times when there have been other “drunken sailors” having the same issue.

    But I digress.

    We did have the opportunity to visit the Koala Conservation Centre and see 10 permanent Koala residents in what the Rangers call the “pensioners quarters”. The Centre is also treating koalas from the recent bush fires but because the intent is to return them to the wild they are understandably limiting their exposure to humans and to stress.

    After the Conservation Centre we did a nice 3-mile semi-guided hike through the Australian bush before returning to the ship.

    The evening brought the announcement of additional itinerary changes due to the ongoing Coronavirus restrictions being put in place by various nations and our trip is quickly becoming The Magical Mystery Tour.
    Read more