Satellite
  • Day 480

    Day 481: Southwards from Alta

    June 10, 2018 in Norway ⋅ 🌧 5 °C

    We'd originally planned to have a day off up here and just relax, but with high prices for most things and lots of nice scenery awaiting us on the drive south, we decided to head off today instead. Our next world heritage site is about 18 hours drive south of here, so rather than do it in two days after a day off, we figured to split it in three days and do some sight-seeing on the way.

    So off we went! Overcast skies, as the weather had definitely turned during the night. Not too much rain though thankfully, just sprinkles here and there.

    The road was very dramatic, following the coastlines of the fjords with tall cliffs, epic mountain ranges, snow-covered flanks, pine forests, tumbling waterfalls and bubbling streams, still lakes reflecting everything, and of course red farmhouses. It's impossible to do justice with a camera, particularly an iPhone camera and especially in overcast conditions! But we did our best.

    Despite leaving around 9:30 we didn't arrive at our stop until nearly 5pm. We essentially just picked it out of the book but it was very cheap for a 2-person cabin, only about 18 euros! No bathroom, and it was a bunk bed, but sacrifices can be made! We had dinner in the restaurant as well, which was OK prices but still fairly steep. I had roast lamb and some vegetables, basically RSL club standard and it was I think 14 euros. Like I said, good prices for Norway.
    Read more