Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 6 - Wendover to Ivinghoe Beacon

    December 11, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    Back on the original west to east direction to finish ! Final 11mls!

    Wendover is an attractive market town and has an old coaching inn , The Red Lion Pub and 19C Clock tower . South past the 12 / 14C St Mary the Virgin church and UP the hill and heading North East , through Hale Wood and then we enter Hertfordshire !
    Past Tring Park , a Norman grassland containing a Wren Manor House .
    Tring is attractive with church, market house and odd Cottages and onto Wiggington .
    Across Akerman street (the old Roman road) and across the 1929 Grand Union canal . High on the hill above is the Bridgewater Monument from 1832 and dedicated to ‘the father of the inland waterway’ - not a climb for today!
    Through Aldbury Nowers nature reserve and up through the mud to Pitstone Hill - for a great view !
    On towards over some dry green grassland toward the end and a final climb up to the Beacon on the hill - built on an old Iron Age fort - with a great panorama: reservoirs , Aylesbury vale and sometimes the Whipsnade Lion but not visible today but Mentmore Towers is oddly clear !
    A good look back west to where I started .... the escarpment ridge is visible !
    So down to the village , past the windmill (possibly the oldest in England from 1627), the Church of St Mary the Virgin from
    13C with some crazy relics and odd wooden headed pews!
    And we are done .. where next ?
    Read more