Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 1 Eton/ Windsor to Maidenhead

    July 17, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Well I strangely didn’t get invited to the knighthood or the wedding at the Castle by the Queen but I was bright and early to start my walk at Eton . Windsor or “wyndesore” meaning winding shore is where the path crosses the bridge to Eton and near those famous/ infamous playing fields ! A fine view back of the Castle and walking west I pass under the great Windsor Great Western Bridge. Strolling by Eton Wick , the horse race track , Boveney weir and Lock and church -with excellent Norman window . Moving on , I pass the Oakley Court hotel - a frequent work meeting venue ....and I actually swam across the river here one night a long time ago - sponsored by tequila ! (Bad boy) . The hotel was used for many Hammer horror and St. Trinians films ! Dorney Court , a very good Tudor mansion but being repaired !
    Onto and under Summerleaze bridge onto Monkey island or Monks island , where in 1738 the Duke of Marlborough decorated the fishing lodge roof with ...monkeys! Why ?
    Another old and popular business haunt is Bray which is home to some fine restaurants , the Fat Goose and Waterside Inn.
    The river path leads onto the Maidenhead railway bridge of 1839, and the line to Bristol . The bridge famous in Turner’s “Rain , steam and speed “ painting with the largest and flattest arches ever built ! It’s a beautiful sunny day as I reach Maidenhead and cross the bridge to the other western bank!
    Read more