Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 1 Maidenhead to Marlow

    July 17, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    It’s a very attractive stretch after the Maidenhead bridge ( dating from 13th C but current bridge is c 1777 and was a toll bridge until 1903) .
    I head north through Chandlers Quay and Boulters Lock - a very busy place here in 17th C - and Inn ( an old flour mill). Today it’s a frenzy of pleasure boats setting off up and down the river . There’s a lot expensive houses appearing! Over to east on the other bank is the Cliveden estate and House on the bluff and out of sight . It was built for Duke of Buckingham around 1666 , but current house is designed by Charles Barry of H of P ....and famous for Astor and infamous for Profumo affair and Spring cottage - still there today by the riverside !
    Heading west, I enter Cookham , with impressive church and the famous Stephen Spencer gallery and Lullebrook Manor (inspiration for Toad Hall).
    Back heading north , Cock Marsh is a rare lowland marsh and haven for birds , and onto Bourne End - the east side is covered with many expensive houses .
    Up and over Thames at the Bourne End railway bridge - the Spade Oak ferry finished in 1962 - past two islands and then under the Marlow bypass and onto Marlow Mill and lock.
    Finally a view of the Marlow suspension bridge but first down Seven Corner Alley and St. Peter street and into the Two Brewers pub ( famous from Three men in a Boat ) and the Wethered Marlow Brewer - I’m early for pick up so time for a beer . Onto Marlow churchyard and the Causeway , the opposite bank has the Complete Angler ( Walton’s inspiration point) , the 1832 bridge and the 1835 All Saints church .....it’s home and time for another Marlow Rebellion brewery beer....let’s see how the pandemic goes from here and when I can finish the walk !
    Read more