Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Day 4 Oxford to Tadpole Bridge

    27 października 2022, Anglia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    A quiet drizzly grey start to the day as I weave my way through the back streets of Oxford. The guide book says the path is on left bank but it’s definitely on the right ! Guess it depends which way the writer was moving!
    On the way out ruined Godstow Abbey from1133 and later the Swinford bridge , a toll bridge .
    Todays it’s a very different day ! The Thames is much smaller and calmer and it’s pretty much meadow all the way! It’s meanders a lot and adds some distance .

    The odd conversations/ sites of the day : Wild water swimmers in Oxford - students! Rowers again ! Curious cows - see video ! Lock keeper “the water is still low after the drought” ! A barge owner who left Cornwall during the pandemic when the place was flooded and property values went mad ,now happily enjoying life on the rivers and canals ! So it’s been all majestic willows and cows and sheep today. Lunch at Newbridge - which isn’t new as it’s the second oldest on the river ! It has six pointed arches and dates from 1250!
    I was told to look out for otters at some point but didn’t see any - only a lady and her dog, some runners, and a couple with small boy ! It’s a quiet section , the sun came out and I’d given up all hope of seeing anything and then …..out of the sunshine appears a tall bald naked man who walks past me hiding his dignity neath his wallet ! “Apologies for my state of undress !” It is warm I replied !
    Tadpole inn bath beckons after 19miles!
    Czytaj więcej