Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    23 - W walk 4 - Lago Grey

    November 29, 2023 in Chile ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    5am ? what’s the weather ? We need to be up and back by 5pm latest for the boat back !
    A good night in the pub but we are awake at 5am but it’s raining heavily and windy !
    Back to bed , however by 7 it’s clear so we head up and it’s a fairly easy walk whilst battling the wind !
    Two hours up and after passing two lakes -one strangely has icebergs floating - and we reach the glacier . It’s 6km down and of course up if we try to bc reach the refuge / campsite . We decide a view from the mirador is the best option with the wind at gale force on the top ! The glacier which is steely grey in this light soon is becoming covered in mist - we have timed it right ! The gathering storm and wind will probably claim the view .
    A gentle walk home and we’re back in lodge by 11 - the afternoon is free , and thankfully the sun is shining !
    A quiet afternoon sitting around waiting for the boat across Pehoe lake at 5pm . Bit of a mix up on travellers / half have gone early / half on time and one later !
    We have to sit and wait for final boat -it’s 7.30pm after a thirty minute crossing !
    Late supper as it’s a drive over to Puerto Natales
    Read more