Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The hanging gardens of Guanajuato

    February 10, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Monday sees me on the road again and 4 hours out of Queretaro and through a series of tunnels, I arrive in Guanajuato. This is many people's favourite in Mexico and my first good sighting is the small front patio to my guest house. The fountain is dry but the plants are not. The guest house lies off the super little Plaza Baratillo, one of several in the city carrying on their parallel lives. This one features another fountain, a flower stall, a stationery shop, a traditional fast food stand and a Chinese takeaway!

    Guanajuato is another former mining city but being on steep hills (hence the tunnels) its layout is more like the traditional Moorish type with no straight lines that is seen in Spanish cities. It offers all manner of interesting perspectives with steps and hills everywhere. The longest flight is a rumbling funicular which offers a fantastic view of the whole city.

    The final picture shows flags in the Callejon del Beso (Street of the Kiss), so narrow that it's said to be possible for people to lean across from opposite windows and get intimate.
    Read more