Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Amerimexicana

    February 20, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    The short journey to Guaymas is a 20-minute bus ride to the Holiday Inn. A slight fish- out-of-water feeling as I normally prefer family-run guest houses but decent accommodation in Guaymas is scarce and the H.I turns out to be very nice. The staff sort out a Wifi problem; technical matters on the phone in Spanish are not my strong point but they are very helpful and patient.

    Guaymas, while not a Colonial city, was founded long enough ago (1880s) to suggest a historical heritage but almost everything has been swept away in the 21st century tide. There seem to be no restaurants serving traditional food so I make do with an international fast-food chain which actually serves quite a nice Mexican version of the usual burger and fries fare.

    But the reason for my being in Guaymas is the annual pre-Lent Carnival, one of the largest in these parts. It gives an opportunity not only for people to air their grievances but to let it all hang out. Literally in one case: the event typically kicks off with the symbolic hanging of a national hate figure. The costumes are inventive and exotic; the floats are impressive but I prefer the less formal portraits of revellers getting ready for the show or taking a break. The youngest generation get into the party spirit too.
    Read more