Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 452

    First time on the canal

    June 1, 2021 in England ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    The Thames isn't the only waterway that adds presence and beauty to London; there's also the Regent's Canal which snakes a more northerly route. It links the Grand Union Canal with docklands downstream from Tower Bridge, and was opened in the early 19th century. Canals have been the venue for numerous holidays and much messing about in boats gave rise to the "first time" remark by some amused bystanders. (I deny all involvement in that particular trip but salt was added to the wound by said bystanders not being locals or even English).

    The eastern stretch of the Regent's Canal emerges from a tunnel at Islington and passes through a delightful stretch which has been called the Hanging Gardens of Islington. Continuing through the edge of Hackney, it swerves towards Old Ford and Bow, where traces of old industries remain. Regrettably the request to respect the residents isn't always observed.

    The home straight, running past some landscaped greenery, yields a panoramic view of the Canary Wharf towers before emptying into Limehouse Basin and finally the Thames. An excellent 6-mile workout in perfect weather with more canal walks to follow.
    Read more