Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    File under "B" for Beach

    August 24, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Despite the flat landscape of East Yorkshire, there are numerous day excursions from Hull to be made. The railway from there to Scarborough contains too many places to do properly in one day, so we confine our first day trip to Filey and Beverley. Filey was called by my late father, who did army training there during the War, the "coldest place in the world". Well, it's not quite north-east Siberia and although not exactly tropical either, it's bearable and keeps the holiday crowds down. Beverley, back towards Hull, is a historic market town with a Home Counties feel. It's known for its Minster which is larger than many English cathedrals and profusion of Georgian buildings, and is probably a popular commuter base for Hull city.

    There seems to be a local competition for best-kept railway station and Bridlington's is a great example. Bridlington is another forgotten beach town and fishing port. It's a little sister to Scarborough at the end of the line, and here's a picture of another line, the antique funicular leading from the upper town to the beach. Nobody else going down, a 50-person queue going up. I wonder why!

    Finally a bus ride south-east to the village of Patrington with its gorgeous church, all of a piece from the 14th century, The vicar may not be present in person but his effigy is holding a tea party!
    Read more