Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 670

    A foggy day......

    January 5, 2022 in England ⋅ ☀️ 4 °C

    .......in London town, as goes the song by Billie Holiday. Frank Sinatra, Dinah Washington and many others! This winter so far, the weather has been too breezy for fog but an appeal from the Camera Club to submit photos of it for a competition got me digging through the archives. These views are taken from slides from many years ago before I took up digital, but they show how beautiful London can be, even in what train announcers call "adverse weather conditions". (Why don't they just say "bad weather"?

    The first couple come from my beloved South Bank with an appropriate poster for rum, and the next one shows Queen Boadicea's horse. At the time this photo was taken, Big Ben was free of scaffolding. More recently, it's been wrapped up in it for years, but they've just released the clock face again and perhaps the rest will follow before 2022 is up.

    The other three come from down river on the Isle of Dogs, the final one showing the Canary Wharf tower looming above some former warehouses now turned into apartments. While some might oppose the gentrification, at least they've escaped the wrecking ball and put to another use.
    Read more