Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 217

    Soca in west London

    28 de agosto de 2022, Inglaterra ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    After two years lost to the pandemic, the country starts to emerge from its slumber and the Notting Hill carnival is in full flow again. With a Caribbean heritage, it's the only big one in late August, hence no need to be in three places at once as in Lent. And it's said to be the world's largest party after Rio de Janeiro.

    There are however caveats: with an estimated 2 million attending the event over three days, overcrowding could be an issue not just because it might be Covidious but also with the risk of stampedes like that of Hillsborough in 1989. There are other sobering memories; the ladies in orange are dancing in front of a truck commemorating the 2017 fire at nearby Grenfell Tower in which over 70 people died. Reports come through of theft, assault and a fatal stabbing; but to be fair, it's the first murder for almost 20 years and there are fewer arrests than at the previous carnival,

    That said, I bring my cheapest and nastiest camera and make sure of being gone hours before nightfall. The crowds are dense only when the floats pass by and there are plenty of gaps with breathing space. Having supposed that the front-page pictures of revellers are taken by privileged press staff, I'm delighted that there's access for the ordinary public. As they say, if you've got it flaunt it and you haven't got it, flaunt it more! Image no. 7 shows drinks being sold at hugely inflated prices but by now I'm parched and it's worth it for a nice photo.

    The music of this long weekend isn't over and the day after, I attend a festival in Carshalton, postally and culturally in Surrey but still in Greater London. A twosome called Evensong play songs I haven't heard for 50 years: most people associate the Middle of the Road with "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" but this couple do a super version of "Soley Soley".

    Finally, music can be heard in the most prosaic places. Pianos are not uncommon in railway stations but this pipe organ at London Bridge is the only one I've heard so far. A shame that the church from which it comes must be defunct but at least the organ goes into extra time.
    Leer más