Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 175

    If it's the last Saturday in June....

    June 24, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌫 18 °C

    ....we must be in the Lake District! On this annual reunion week, 12 of us are booked once again into two cottages near the river in Keswick. This time there's no disruption on the journey from London (or Cheshire, or Yorkshire, for those who arrive by different routes) and it's set to be a great week.

    It's market day in Keswick as we arrive, with a festive atmosphere (dogs allowed). I can't resist a naughty-but-nice call to Luchini's, the ice cream business which has been going since 1901. Also naughty but nice is the beer, and the Dog & Gun, continuing the canine theme, is one of Keswick's best pubs.

    Following the pattern of the daily walking party meeting the drinking party in the afternoons, we start with an easy hike to Rosthwaite. It's said to be the wettest place in England but then if there was no rain, there wouldn't be any lakes! A couple of days later we find this Victorian "picturesque", complete with a fine view of Windermere through stained glass. It's a steep climb past this to the summit but we're rewarded with a leisurely return walk past a sparkling tarn.
    Later in the week around Grasmere, the weather has closed in again but surely the residents of the mansion in the background aren't worried.

    Lastly, the name of this pub in Staveley is said to arise from a noble-born baby found in the nest of an eagle. But why the full stop after the Victorian signage? And before you ask, we do get some walking in: a gentle stroll there along the River Kent from Kendal, and then a route march to the town of Windermere for the last bus home. 12 miles in all.

    The final Saturday comes round all too soon but guess what---as I write this, next year's trip is already pencilled in.
    Read more