Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 1!

    February 18 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 -3 °C

    The breakdown is there are 8 storage units overall (unincluding one in new jersey):
    2 in downers grove
    6 in Winfield (where our Airbnb is) FYI: of the 6 in Winfield:
    - one we don't have keys to
    - And one is mega full so...
    - we are only gonna interact with 4 of them.

    Our plan is to make the 4 Winfield units into 1 so that we half the overall amount of Winfield units, and if we can do that we will try and empty out the 2 in downers grove. So we would get it down from 9 to 4 units. So far, it seems feasible!

    Today was the first day of cleaning out and aren't we lucky it was a Sunday. It meant only the goodwill was open, so our first stop of the day was the storage units in downers grove where mum knew a lot of it was clothes (easy wins). We emptied out a 1/4 of one of them and then had lunch at the library. We then dropped off our goods at the goodwill, who just took everything, which blew my tiny mind; and moved on to the next storage units. We did a second re-filling of the car, jigged some things around, moved some shelves and called it a day. Then I cooked us a lovely lentil and rice stew and I ended the day with a yoga.

    I hope it's gonna get easier every day, and we are gonna make sure we are maintaining good stamina by taking 10 minute breaks every hour. There's an ocean of stuff that we could just sit and go through, but it's important we keep ourselves rested because the work can get fatiguing (both emotionally and physically).

    As long as we keep our routine of packing the car twice a day with crap, I think we should be able to reach our goals.

    These posts are gonna be a mix of random shit we find, and pictures of storage units (hopefully getting emptier!) and maybe some food and sunsets along the way.

    Love,
    H & H
    Read more