Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Shibuya

    September 26, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Shibuya is the commercial hub of Tokyo, with every shop you could imagine being found there.

    Coming out of the metro station you are immediately greeted by the Scramble crossing, one of the busiest pedestrian crossings in the world - Google says an estimated 3000 people cross during every green light. It is complete chaos but somehow it just works. Next to the crossing is my first stop, the statue of the most loyal dog, Hachikō.

    After petting the dog I headed over to the various game companies stores, including the massive Pokémon centre, the Nintendo shop, and the Capcom store full of Monster Hunter merchandise. The highlight of the district however was Tower Records, a record shop spanning over 9 floors selling every album you could think of. I bought a lot of Japanese albums that I had been unable to buy from home before.

    Moving out of the center the crowds very soon fade away as I got to Yoyogi Park, a large green space which also has the gymnasium used to host events in both the 1964 and 2020 Olympics. After a short rest I wandered over to Harajuku to look at all the weird Japanese fashion shops.

    Finally, whilst returning back to my hotel I took a detour to the "Shelter" music venue. A tiny bar that upcoming Japanese rock bands perform at, which serves as the inspiration for the bar "Starry" in the anime Bocchi the Rock. Unfortunately the show's popularity meant that there was a queue all around the building to get in, and the performances were all sold out.
    Read more