Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Denali to Talkeetna, an unexpected journ

    June 16, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Up at 4.45am again and on the 6am East Fork Transit Bus. The wildlife seemed a little quieter today with only a hare and some migratory sheep seen for 95% of the outbound distance. Then a male moose with 2 antlers on one side. And a Grizzly just metres away from the moose.

    We watched the drama unfold. The Grizzly sniffing the air, knowing the moose was ahead of it. The moose watching the direction the bear was in and retreating. Who would win? What would happen? We’ll never know but it was probably a stalemate. Moose are dangerous and can kick a grizzly to death. Grizzly’s learn this early and unless there’s a calf, they don’t attack. Male moose, no calf so they probably just ignored each other.

    The rest of the journey was uneventful. We arrived back at the bus depot and drove back to the campground. We realised how tired we were and decided that we wanted to move on. While we had allowed time to see Denali, we had been fortunate and seen so much in 2 days we could see more of Alaska than planned if we moved on.

    We packed our campsite up and bought some souvenirs. We then headed south to Talkeetna. On the way we had some good mountain views.

    We checked in to the talkeetna inn and sorted the chaos of the car out. We then walked to downtown Talkeetna and looked around the shops. We tried the famous spinach bread, which was ok.

    We had dinner at the Denali brewery and then relaxed in our tiny room.
    Read more