Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Sentinel Dome and Taft Point Hike

    July 2, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Up early, again, and left the house by 6.15am. As we pulled onto the main highway I couldn’t believe how much traffic there was. I’ve never seen so many cars at that time of day in Yosemite.

    We drove along to Glacier Point, which had been opened for the first time in 2 years especially for the long weekend, and fortunately got a car park. After a quick toilet stop we headed uphill towards Sentinel Dome.

    Once we had been to the top we continued along towards Taft Point. There was still snow along the trail and some places were muddy. We were also seeing spring flowers rather than summer flowers because of the amount of snow there has been and the time it’s taking to melt.

    We had a little picnic at Taft Point before beginning the return trip. This part of the walk was a little easier until we reached a stream that had no obvious crossing due to the volume of water. Time to take my shoes and socks off, the water just lapped the bottom of my shorts but I made it. We continued for a few more miles and got back to the car around 2.30pm.

    The queue to get a car park was long now and it took us a while to get out onto the road. Once back at the house we had lots to drink to replace our walking fluids and relaxed for a while. We had a big pasta dinner and an early night ready for the valley tomorrow.
    Read more