Satellite
  • Day 78

    Penguin Island

    February 16, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We both woke up around 7 o'clock this morning, so we decided to ear breakfast early and get going.
    After breakfast, we went to Rockingham to the Information Center there and ask if it's possible to hire a Kayak and driver to Penguin Island with it. First, we walked over the little market that was beside the carpark and bought so vegetables and fruits for a really nice price! Then we ask the lad in the information center and it was possible to just hire a kayak! We got a number and called the guy and he had a double kayak for us!
    We just went fast to buy bread rolls with cheese for a picnic lunch and we drove to the penguin island harbor!
    He was already waiting for us there and we got the kayak and life jackets and some good tips from him where to go first and what to think about!
    So we got ready and off we were!
    It was quite challenging to paddle to Seal Island as the wind and current were pushing us around.
    But we managed and got better and better to handle it the longer we were out!

    Pictures and text about Seal Island come in a different footprint!

    Then we were paddling towards Penguin Island, passing some other small and rocky islands on the way with a lot of shags and seagulls on!
    The closer we came the better we could see the big pelican colony on the island! There are so many pelicans!!
    We then paddled to the beach and went onshore and had our lunch break. After an hour relaxing we went for a walk over Penguin Island and saw a lot of birds and pelicans.
    No penguins unfortunately but it’s too early to see them come onshore. And they close the island at 4 pm for the public to give the penguins the privacy they need, which is really good!!

    After the walk, we decided to stay here a while longer before we return back to the mainland.

    We left around 3.40 pm and had some problems to navigate as the wind was pretty fresh now and the current was pushing us in the wrong direction all the time. But we managed, a bit tired but still more than satisfied with the day. After returning the kayak we went to Herron where we found a beautiful little campground right beside a lake.
    So we had our dinner at the beach, watching the sunset and the pelicans on the lake! It couldn’t be better.

    We went to bed pretty early as we were both very tired from the day!
    Read more