Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Maria Island - Painted Cliffs Walk

    March 7, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 17 °C

    As I was super early in Darlington, the town on Maria Island, I was wondering around looking for some Wombats.
    Didn't find any Wombat but found some Tasmania Pademelon. Super cute tiny little Wallabies.
    They are easily scared so I had to move very slowly around them to get some nice pictures.
    Did then walk to the Painted Cliffs. Took the longer part through the forest and saw some more Pademelon. They are so cute and always hiding under som bushes. So you need to have the eyes open to see them.
    Arrived at the Painted Cliffs around 12:30pm. Ist still 3 hours until low-tide. You can enter them best at low-tide. I was hoping it might be possible earlier but the wind is bushing in the waves towards the coast. And the wind is just getting worst. I decided to wait one more hour and kept on walking on the track. Lucky me, there was another Wombat.
    Arrived back at the Painted Cliffs shortly past 1 pm. Had a lunch break.
    Then I walked a little bit on the cliffs, as far as it was possible and decided not to book on to the last ferry at 4:15pm just leave this one for the next time.
    The wind is horrible and it will be even a time problem with the last ferry, as you are supposed to be there 15 minutes before departure and it takes at least 30 minutes to walk to the ferry.
    Read more