Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 161

    Making Progress

    September 23, 2017 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We are now in Nazare in Portugal, site of a very famous surfing photo, i have been told, of someone Macnamara? Today was our nicest cruise since arriving in the country, the light fog cleared, the sun came out and we could see the coast, not that there was much to see except sand dunes. At one stage on the plotter set to 8nautical miles there was only blue, sea and yellow, land, no towns, headlands or other features.
    From Porto we headed to Aviero and the Bay Sao Jacinto foggy trip but we arrived just before hightide so entering the harbour was OK except for all the locals in their little speed boats fishing making it a slalom course. Anchored up fine and had a quiet night. Leaving however, now that was more interesting, the book suggested that just before high tide was best time to enter and leave as that was slack water but high tide was at 04:25 and in the dark was also not recommended so we left about 9:00. Well some of you know that the boats top speed is about 7knots but we were making 11! Then harbour control advise us to wait as a cargo boat and large fishing vessel are coming in Great, we did manage to tuck in out of their way then we ploughed into the overfalls , JVK says like at Roustel, the sea was still a mess 2 miles out. Things stayed unpleasant all day so it was a relief to arrive at Figuera de Foz and tie up for the night. This afternoon we walked into town and as its saturday John had a G&T we saw the fish out to dry and headed back.
    Read more