Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 603

    Lefkas Marina

    December 9, 2018 in Greece ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    We travelled from Meganisi a whole 4miles to Nidri where we moored alongside on what turned out to be a private pontoon. But on the way we stopped so I could have another swim. We would have moored on the town quay but it was full of ferries taking a winter break. Fortunately the owner of the pontoon, Kelvin was very nice and didn’t charge us, also he has a team of English speaking engineers so might use them to service the injectors, apparently. We did manage to eat out in Nidri and there was even a choice but we were sold when we saw the very large pizza oven and warming flames. I had our first fish meal since arriving in Greece, sea bream and salad delicious, we have avoided fish up till now as very expensive and charged by the kg but this was €13 so quite reasonable, John had peppered steak.
    The next day, Saturday we headed north around the Lefkas coast and arrived at Lefkas Marina after a final cruising week of glorious sunshine ☀️. On Friday it was so hot I had to seek the shade, seems ridiculous right now. Glad we’re here as 1 we needed a good long shower and 2 it’s now raining heavily and is due to continue for the next couple of days. So far we have been shopping and scoped out the nearest cafe, it’s warm and does a great milky coffee, we have even joined their ‘club’ so get reduced rate drinks including coffee, result! But still need to find a cheaper laundromat, there is one in the marina but they charge €15 to wash and dry an ordinary load which seems pricey. I have found the gym, which is on site and will join Monday, only because it’s closed on Sundays, today.
    If the rain lets up we are planning on going out for Sunday lunch and to try to find out about Christmas Day options.

    The Marina office isn’t open till Monday when we will ask for a berth the other side of the pontoon so the stern is facing south and bow is into prevailing wind so we can be as warm as possible. Greece is definitely going to be a cooler and wetter than Almerimar I just hope there are enough dry days to get the necessary winter maintenance done.
    Read more