Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 499

    Paris Day 2 and more things to see

    August 4, 2020 in France ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Today we were adventurous and decided to try using our bikes and cycle around, wow that was an experience I was thankful each time we successfully negotiated a junction. Sometimes there are lanes for us, with special bike traffic lights other times just a section of the road with bikes painted on it other times nothing at all and almost all No Entry signs are ‘sauf cycle’ except bikes. Now a days cycle also means electric bikes, electric scooters, skateboards, roller skates, segways like I say it was an experience.
    First of all today we were off to the Eiffel Tower, we walked up to the second level then got a lift to the summit. The views over the city were incredible, the buildings that we saw yesterday that looked so imposing at ground level were insignificant from the top of the tower. Even today it’s an impressive bit of engineering. John was wondering how much longer it will last, how will they replace sections? From here to the Arc de Triumph and the posh upper part of the Champs Elysees. From here we were aiming for the Sacre Coeur and Montmartre, well we got there eventually but definitely not by the most direct route. We saw Mairie de Paris and Eglise de Madeleine, Gare St Lazaire, Boulevard Lafayette on the way not necessarily in that order those were just the place I remember where we stopped to establish where we were and where we were trying to go. After wandering around Montmartre looking at the sketch artists, portrait painters and caricaturists and seeing all the fabric shops we decided enough was enough and we would head back via the Pompidou Centre and the Bastille to the boat.
    Read more