Satellite
  • Day 16

    The Bell Lap

    May 23, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    All good things eventually come to an end and today we ran head on into that cliche. We are relocating from the burbs to a hotel closer to the airport in anticipation of flying to Oslo early Wednesday morning. Of course moving that short a distance is pretty mundane so we plan a lap around a portion of the Reykjanes Peninsula. We pass the airport at Keflavik and keep going west...passing a golf course that actually has players on it despite the wind. This would be a good place to keep the ball low !! We move on to Gardur and eventually the lighthouse point at Gardskagi where it's a day at the beach watching the numerous birds. On to Sangerdi and a stop for lunch. Lonely Planet, our bible for most trips, recommends we try the house soup at Vitinn. All I can say is , "thank you Lonely Planet."

    Somehow we miss spotting the abandoned US Air Force base where our Canadian jets are currently based. Oh well, onward we go. The rain starts and once we reach the bridge between two tectonic plates, it's a deluge. I offer to "suit up" into my rain gear, walk to the bridge and snap some pics. Catherine wisely stays warm back in the car.

    Lastly, we stop at The Blue Lagoon. Yes, we went in. Yes, we wandered around. NO, we didn't stay for a soak in the Lagoon. It was miserable out and at last count, 6 highway busses dotted the parking lot along with many individual vehicles. We had decided quite awhile back that we would skip this place.....too pricey, too packed, wayyyyy too commercial. Last night's dip at The Secret Lagoon was awesome and very pedestrian compared to the behemoth that Big Blue is.

    It is late afternoon, we need to check in and then return the car. We get most of that done rather efficiently except for the "finding the hotel" part. Our Garmin Girl Serena kept telling me to turn down a street that did not seem to exist. As you can now guess, we eventually found our hotel. The car is gone and all is well with the world.

    We have a very early start Wednesday.....shuttle at 5:30 a.m....flight at 7:50. It has been a great 15 days here in Iceland. Stunning scenery.Very friendly people. Felt as safe as we would have at home. Put a big check mark beside "been there...done that."'

    On to Norway. New time zone. New language. New currency. New adventures. Stay tuned.
    Read more