Satellite
  • Day 11

    Day 11: Xian, China's version of York!

    June 8, 2017 in China ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    After a 15 hour night train arrived in Xian and met our bubbly guide Leilei.

    After a chill and freshen up we were introduced to the city, which is steeped in culture and has beautiful city walls, not dissimilar to York. Learned about the bell and drum towers which unfortunately are no longer in use. Rented bikes to cycle the city walls. Noticed an amazing contrast between outside and inside, as all buildings inside cannot legally be built above the wall's 12m height. Outside we see the characteristic high rise buildings of China.

    Despite having a 2hr time limit on the bikes to complete the 14km circuit, Jordan was quickly side tracked by the opportunity to dress up in traditional Chinese costumes and have a photo shoot - we were all soon persuaded to partake. By the time we'd done we still had 10km to do in 20 minutes, needless to say we were late back despite racing round the walls like mario kart characters weaving around pedestrians and swerving up and down ramps past the 'cycle prohibited' signs. Only charged 15 yuan for the delay in returning bikes, but Leilei was most concerned and had already contacted the Shanghai office to report the missing group. He needed a beer to calm his nerves, but soon saw the funny side.

    With adrenaline still pumping we were in fits of laughter as Emma was experiencing her classic FOMO (fear of missing out) when she returned from taking photos to the group freshening up with a wet wipe courtesy of Leilei. This was soon rectified and we were all aloe vera fresh and ready to mosey on to the Muslim quarter.

    Here, we were forewarned that it was probably best not to eat anything, and when we saw the flattened squid on sticks and fly-covered goat carcasses being hacked up and thrown on the BBQs we agreed. Enjoyed the market though and all walked away with some gift and souvenir bargains. Emma was particularly impressed with Jordan's hard-core bartering skills, which Gill also quickly got the hang of.

    After the earlier incident Leilei decided he'd stick close by, so took us to one of his favourite restaurants where we enjoyed a Chinese banquet including; beer chicken, sweet and sour, broccoli and garlic, and battered mushroom strips. Delicious.

    Gill very excited to see Terracotta warriors tomorrow as been waiting 43 years to see them!

    Gill & Em x
    Read more