Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 10: Cheerio Chengdu!

    June 7, 2017 in China ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Went for a wander downtown stopping at Louis' (a trendy looking cafe) for a Chinese ice tea. Just what we needed - it was a scorcher at 30+ degrees. Bought Chinese breakfast - pork dumplings to enjoy too.

    Went to Wenshu monastery (1412 year old delightful wooden construction). It was extremely peaceful, and with Incense in hand we both prayed to the arts and literature Buddha for academic success. Gill also prayed to the happiness Buddha for Caris and Jenni's lifelong happiness and sent incense up to her dad.

    Then a wander through the Tibetan quarter. Picked up some more street food - 'tornado potato' and meat stuffed bread patties. Really needed more time to buy souvenirs and absorb the atmosphere. Utilised our limited Chinese and gestural skills to buy Emma a new camera charging cable from a lovely lady who, after rummaging through a box of loose cables from under the counter, hooked it up to a battery and tested it!

    Bought snacks and playing cards in preparation for our 15 hour train to Xian. Was intrigued by the Tibetan snack shop selling an array of cold dried meats including 'eaten cold rabbit' (see photo). Also bought some jelly sweets and Gill was tempted by the jasmine tea.

    Having a love/hate relationship with money belts - although keeping valuables safe and secure; unbelievably sweaty and Emma's is starting to smell as bad as Jordan's trekking boots!

    Will miss the cosmopolitan city of Chengdu, but excited to see the treasures of Xian.

    Gill & Em x
    Read more