Satellite
Show on map
  • Cali

    July 25, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Colombia was not on our itinerary when we left home however because we met so many travellers that advised us to visit we decided that we had to explore the country. Our first Colombian city was Cali which is famous for Salsa dancing. Unfortunately I was not able to persaude Rob to take lessons with me but we did end up in a cafe listening to Salsa music for a while which was a nice alternative.

    We walked around the city and found a park that has statues of cats before walking uphill to San Antonio church to get a beautiful view over the city. Unfortunately the rain came soon after we arrived so we didn't get to spend long admiring the view. We ran for shelter in a shop and ended up talking to a local man about music. I say talking but as our Spanish is only very basic and his Colombian accent was very strong and difficult to understand we ended up just saying famous bands and singers from the 80s/90s to each other. Once we couldn't think of any more famous musicians we said our goodbyes and wandered onto the main plaza called Cayzedo plaza that is full of Palm trees. We couldn't figure out way the square looked so familiar until we returned back to our hostel and Google said that the plaza is used alot in the TV show Narcos.

    There wasn't a huge amount to do in Cali but that gave us time to explore the city at our own pace over two days and talk to locals. Visiting Colombia already seems like a good decision.
    Read more