Satellite
Show on map
  • Cartagena

    August 17, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Of all of the places that we have been to in Colombia, and the rest of South America, Cartagena is the most influenced by the Spanish invasion. The old town has narrow streets with colourful balconies hanging over the streets below. As we walked through the old town we said that we could be in any town in Spain. It is felt quite strange but was nice at the same time too. We visited the castle which is on the outskirts if the old walled city. It was built by the Spanish Crown in the 18th century and overlooks the old town. There is a beautiful view over the city and it is interesting to see the difference between the low rise buildings of the old town and the high rise glass buildings of the new town. It was very hot when we visited so we enjoyed exploring the castles tunnels to get out of the midday sun.

    That evening we met up with Emily, Liam, Oscar and Franzie who was on our salt flat tour in Boliva. It was funny how we are all at the end of our trip but happened to end in Cartagena at the same time. It was lovely catching up with both couples and hearing how their trip has been since we last saw them.
    Read more