Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Kyoto - The best city in Nippon

    November 8, 2018 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We love it here. This is our second time and won't be the last. The people are great, it's easy to get around, there are more English speaking people and signage which is so helpful. It's a mix of the very new with the wonderful cultural 'old' Kyoto. Geisha walk around town, adolescents wear traditional Japanese garb, the food is to die for. We arrived from Osaka on the fast train in 15 mins and made our way to our hotel which proved to be an excellent choice. We can walk anywhere and the bus stop is right outside the door. We took the still washing to the laundry mat and left it to dry while we hiked up the road and bought another suitcase to make life easier. Collected the laundry and grabbed some supplies then had a rest while we went through all the information supplied by the lovely staff at reception.

    Walked up to the Gion area and found suitable restaurant for dinner, then headed home. PC kept disappearing down little lanes with his video camera - fascinated by the authentic little homes. Came back and said, you have to see this and took be down the end of the lane to a crooked little shack. Sake bar/restaurant. It holds six people. Is run by one woman, has the TV blaring and smells, I thought, of cat's piss (so glad we'd already eaten. There was a lovely older couple sitting at the bar enjoying the TV and their dinner. Another lady came in and although no one spoke English, after two very impressive glasses of saki we were having a blast. Best time ever. God know's what everyone was laughing at but it was sure worth the slight headache this morning!
    Read more