Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 2 - Art Nouveau at its Finest!

    May 29, 2019 in Czech Republic ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Today we got a relatively early start & explored Old Town. We walked along Karlova (Charles Street), on a mission to reach Municipal House for a tour we'd booked on line.

    Municipal House (The People's House) holds much historical significance to Czechs. It is an Art Nouveau masterpiece on every scale. For example, each room has a theme that is reflected in the wall decor, hand embroidered draperies, chandeliers, vent covers & more! (http://www.obecnidum.cz/en/)

    Look closely & you can see the shadows of cleaning cloths on the dome - it was a bit disconcerting to see the shadows of people washing it from above us, but a testament to how well the building is being maintained.

    We were fortunate to see/hear some orchestra members practising on stage in Smetana Hall. This is one of Prague's reknowned music venues & we'll be attending a classical concert there on Friday night, one of the events in the International Spring Festival.

    As a final stop, we dropped in to the Amerikan Bar on the lower level. Not only is it the oldest bar in Prague but it was was the first to allow women to enter unaccompanied by men. Had 'water with bubbles' & on the way out, I took a cool mirror pic of Diane. (http://www.obecnidum.cz/en/shop/american-bar/)

    A great start to our day!
    Read more