Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 5

    Day 4 - New Town Here We Come!

    31. mai 2019, Tsjekkisk Republikk ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Our priorities today were exploring New Town, enjoying cafe time, watching the Roma parade in Wenceslas Square, discovering street art & visiting the Mucha Museum. Time & energy permitting we might go to Vsehrad (the historical park & cemetery).

    We opted for breakfast at Cafe Louvre where Einstein, Franz Kafka and other well-known public figures were said to frequent. The cafe's been around since 1902 and hosts local actors at a closed event each month. Our meal was very good & the service, the best yet.

    After enjoying a great fortifier for the day, we made our way to the square, seeing the Memorial of the Velvet Revolution, David Cerny's Metalmorphosis (42 moving layers that continously deconstruct and reconstruct Franz Kafka's head), the Cubist lamp post (reputed to be the only one in the world), and the Franciscan Garden (a delightful reprieve from concrete and crowds). Posed in front of the 'Wild Girls/Divozenky' sculpture by Josef Klimes'.

    At one exit from the gardens was a piece of the Berlin Wall, complete with barbed wire & an old German-made car (Trabant I'd guess) sitting angled on top of the break (my interpretation... to depict East Germans' escape from communism).

    On to the square to catch the Roma (Gypsy) parade, held as part of the International Khomoro Festival.
    Les mer