Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Thorong La Pass

    October 9, 2017 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    5416m... at a first glance maybe not that high if you think of all the people that manage to climb mountains like Everest or Lothse. Still 3000m higher..
    BUT.. for a normal human being, without practise for high altitude nor perfectly equipped, it is a big challenge.
    Over the last couple days we felt perfectly acclimitazed for the high altitude and were also ready to start the ascent from thorum pedi (4500m) at 4.30am. I never expected that a full moon could lighten up a path in the mountains so well that wearing head lights was almost useless! Wonderful😊 And if I would have wished a condition for our ascent it would have been like that what we had: almost no wind, no clouds, almost full moon in front, sunrise in the back und no sign of altitude sickness.. Better than I could dream of! Because of those incredible moments during the ascent and of reaching the final peak, the nasty descent to muktinath over 4 hours (to 3900m) was pretty easy to forget😄 As a little reward we enjoyed a little beer (nepalese volume: 650ml - small people but big bottles of beer😋) in muktinath and we did not think of the "dangerous" and bumpy long ride to tatopani on the next day.
    Read more