Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    2 day trek

    July 2, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Already at 7 in the morning our guide Washington picked us up because to get to the the start of the trail took 2 hours by car. We were supposed to pay for the tour but it was just impossible to withdraw some cash in the village as there was only one bank plus which ran out of money. So Washington was teasing us that no money no food and we will have to cook by ourselves.

    Once we reached the trail, wel left the car just with our small backpacks with water and clothes we were wearing because Washington warned us that what is one kilo now feels like three during the track. I really admired him as he was carrying food for all four of us for the following two days. The track started with a steep climb of a mountain, followed by a plain until we reached one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen. To enjoy the view even more, Washington prepared a very good lunch for us. From up there we could see the place where we were supposed to spend the night. It looked so close but in reality so far. Therefore we continued hiking, walking down the steep mountain just the opposite side from the morning one.

    In the afternoon we reached "our accomodation". It was like an oasis in the middle of the mountains. It was a home of a local family who provides shelter for tourists like us during the trek. It was a true paradise, couple of simple houses with no electricity, hens, roosters and mules running around. We really could not imagine a better and more peaceful place to take a rest after an exhausting hike.

    Later we went just up a near hill with the aim to watch a sunset. Although the sunset was not really succesful as we were in the valley and the sun went down behind a mountain...the colors of the sky were still amazing. When we came back, Washington already set a table with an amazing dinner. We had a really good talk over the dinner about the local life. I was curious how is it with the school there as we were really in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and the local family had kids. The answer was really shocking, the kids have to go everyday to the nearest village to attend school, so basically they gotta do the trek to cross the mountain every single day. They use the mules, we have seen running around, but still I was feeling really priviliged that I live so close to my school, eventhough I complain all the time that I have to go there.

    After the dinner already around 8 pm we totally passed out with exhaustion but really happy that we could do trekking in such an amazing nature.
    Read more