Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 4 Tuesday 9/4/24

    April 9 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Left 164 Peg campsite at 7.15 am after a lovely quiet night. Drove 20kms to Nullabor Roadhouse for a bit of fuel, $2.944 litre. (dearest so far). Roadhouse was good, though. The next stop was "The Head Of The Bight." You must have your seniors card with you to get a discount. ($ 7 each) It's very impressive here as photos will show, but unfortunately, cold & windy. It doesn't open until 8.30 am & closes at 4.00 pm. The gate was locked when we arrived, but we had breakfast and drove on further to the coast once the gate opened. There were about 6 caravans here that had stayed the night.
    We later passed the spot where the two trucks collided & and sadly, 3 people were killed. You can see the evidence on the road where the trucks had both caught fire. It was a terrible accident for those involved but also for those first on the scene who could do nothing to save those people. Just before arriving in Ceduna, we saw 4 mounted police on horses walking slowly along each side of the highway!! I'm not sure what that was about. Obviously, searching for something!
    Arrived in Ceduna about 2 pm and had to get a gas bottle refilled, then we drove on to Smokey Bay and booked here for one night as we couldn't get a sites in Steaky Bay ( March/ April ) very busy. Have a site booked for Thursday and may try the RV park in Streaky Bay tomorrow.
    Weather much cooler here and will be 19° tomorrow.
    Read more