Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5–7

    Day 5 & 6 (Wednesday & Thursday

    April 11 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    It was a strange, very basic caravan park last night in Smokey Bay. Only $20 per night with power & water. ( the other park was fully booked) All 20 sites were WA plates except for 1 Victorian.
    We drove the 70kms to Streaky Bay and went straight to the RV park in town. $15 per vehicle with just 2 clean toilets. It was ok for 1 night. Unhooked the van & drove back to town. Had a walk along the jetty ; talked to an interesting couple who had lived in Weipa for 30 years, sold their home & have been travelling for 4 mths.
    Streaky Bay is a great fishing town with a lovely feel to it. We walked the two main streets and had some lunch. Heaps of things to see. Depends where your interests lie. We also bought another 4 dozen oysters to take to the family in the Barossa Valley.
    Quiet night.
    Woke to a cool morning today, Thursday, and after breakfast, we went for a drive. We took the loop road to Cape Bauer, which was very impressive. Blow holes to see also. It's worth the drive.
    Back to RV park to hook up to drive 5kms to "The Islands" Caravan Park. Nice new park with large private sites. The ablutions consist of ensuits, all having a shower & toilet. It's really nice and $39 per night, which apparently doesn't change for peak times. A bike path takes you back to town.
    The beach is just a short track from the C/P and is just lovely for swimming. Islands to be seen in the distance, also the township, and some great walks to be had. It's a bit warmer today but not warm enough for a swim!!. Although I know a couple of friends who would!!
    Off to Kadina tomorrow to catch up with two couples. Big drive, so leaving park early.
    Read more