Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Day 17

    August 21, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Woke up 7ish. Good sleep again. Tea and final pack.

    Checked out 8.15am - we paid for P & V. Total cost about $900. A lot of money but they were so hospitable with us and saved us lots of $.

    Airport 9ish. Higher security than expected - gave Andy thorough check. Sniffer dog in queue.

    Flight 11ish.

    Flight to Vegas only an hour. Airport very near strip. Checked in fine and went to room. The hotel is enormous.....went through casino - garish carpets and bright lights. On 11th floor of famous Luxor pyramid. Room pretty big but a bit tired. No kettle or fridge!! Bad news for me! It's cheap and the lack of facilities explains why.

    Unpacked then out to strip. Hot but not unbearable. Looked for Bank because ATM in hotel charges $8 to withdraw cash. Didn't find so went for beer in Fatbar. Had bacon/sausage/egg butty and a beer. Very nice and quite cheap.

    Bought mini immersion heater for $16 and milk for €3.75 - much cheaper than buying coffee from Starbucks or similar!

    Went into Tropicana for beer - similar garish carpet.

    Then walked/monorail to famous Las Vegas sign. Queues for photos then Elvis arrived with music pack on his belt. Amusing.

    Home for tea and bit of hand washing 5.30pm.

    As expected, will take a while to adjust to this town!

    Out 7.30ish. Dusk and getting very busy. Went to German bar - quite nice then walked to Belaggio to watch the fountains. A bit disappointed really - they didn't do much and we've seen better. Think we must have missed something or they weren't working properly. Tried Double Barrel bar - closed for private function. Tried Beer Garden - closed for private function. Walked miles again and aimed for steak bar we'd seen this afternoon. On 4th floor and no menu visible so didn't bother. Went back to Irish bar in New York - bought beer and tried to sit away from music but they said diners only. We said we might be dining but they weren't interested so we drank beer and left. Went for pizza slices in New York cafe - about $25 and very nice.

    Bought bottle of wine for $30 and back to room 11ish. Tired legs!
    Read more